As more and more people are getting into vaping, there is also a lot of myths about electronic cigarettes wandering around. Most of these are born without any rational background and are just peoples’ imagination. In this article, we would like to take a look at the most popular myths about electronic cigarettes.
Mostly, these misconceptions are popular within passionate tobacco smokers or people who simply hate smoking and everything that has something to do with it (even completely remotely). They could also come from some tobacco companies – if not in a direct way, there are probably people (doctors, scientists, etc.) who flood these myths into society. We call it propaganda.
10 Most Popular Myths About Electronic Cigarettes
Myth No. 1 – Electronic cigarettes are bad because e-liquids contain nicotine
- A whole bunch of manufacturers produce e-liquid with no nicotine content, and you can get these in every e-cig store, online or offline – problem solved;
- Studies show that nicotine is an addictive substance, but at the same time it leaves much less of a negative impact on human body than all the other ingredients found in tobacco smoke. Traditional cigarettes are bad for your health because you inhale a lot of chemicals from tobacco and the paper which burns right in the front of your mouth. But this is not the case with electronic cigarettes. You should definitely check out filter test or 5 Unread and Interesting Facts About Nicotine
Myth No. 2 – Soon government will ban electronic cigaretes completely
- It can happen in only a couple of countries – electronic cigarettes are becoming more and more mainstream all over the world, and more and more people and communities are starting to accept them;
- It is unlikely that this will happen in the US, Netherlands, UK, France and other developed countries. Either on August 2015 UK Government Shows Support for Vaping;
- A complete ban of electronic cigarettes would actually be a quite daunting task. Instead, some governments could somehow only limit sale or use of these products.
Myth No. 3 – Electronic cigarettes can explode and damage your face
- The chance of such accidents is the same as your phone blowing up next to your face, unless, of course, you use a damaged device. Either way, don’t forget to take care of your personal vaporizer (clean it, do not drop it, check the battery polarity, etc.). You can get some tips on how to do it in our article about E-Cigarette Safety.
- If you buy your devices from top rated sellers, you don’t have to worry. Just don’t get a fancy looking mod/clearo/e-liquid from a person on the street.
Myth No. 4 – Electronic cigarettes are dangerous because people don’t know them very well yet
- Deal with reputable companies only;
- There is really a lot of research data available about electronic cigarettes already. The main coclusions of such scientific studies usually show that ingredients found in e-liquids, as well as the components of a typical personal vaporizer are safe to use, and proves that electronic cigarettes are less harmful than traditional tobacco cigarettes.
Myth No. 5 – Electronic cigarettes are more addictive than traditional tobacco cigarettes
- The only addictive substance in an electronic cigarette is nicotine in the e-liquid. And, as you may already know, you can choose whatever nicotine level you want to when purchasing your e-liquid, and even get plenty of juices without nicotine;
- If you vape a lot (I mean A LOT), and the nicotine content in your e-liquid is exceptionally high, you could PROBABLY get more addicted to nicotine than if you smoked traditional tobacco cigarettes. However, the same logic works for smoking cigarettes. But Vaping has more Pros than regular cigarettes: Vaping Pros and Cons
- And no, from my experience, I vape much more rarely than I smoked cigarettes before. Sometimes I even take a day or two off of the nicotine and vape nicotine free juices.
Myth No. 6 – Electronic cigarette companies try to lure people who don’t smoke
- This is not true. The vast majority of people who start vaping are smokers who do it because they simply want to quit smoking, and electronic cigarettes are intended to help them do so.
- Of course, some non-smokers might want to try out vaping. However, they can do so without getting addicted to nicotine or any other substances – by choosing an e-liquid which is nicotine free. And let’s be honest – that is much, much better than inhaling tobacco smoke which contains thousands of different toxic and carcinogen chemicals.
Myth No. 7 – E-liquid is made using ingredients found in antifreeze
- This is silly, gross, stupid. No government in the world would allow selling products which contain toxic and harmful chemicals;
- From the view of an electronic cigarette company, it would destroy their business in days (if not hours).
- Electronic cigarettes are in the market a couple of years already, and we haven’t heard a single story about someone getting poisoned by vaping. Have you?
Myth No. 8 – Vapor from electronic cigarettes tastes bad/weird
- It was probably true some 5 or 10 years ago with some cig-a-like electronic cigarettes. The industry has gone a long way from low-quality filler material for cheap cartomizers to powerful, stylish, reliable, safe and intuitive vaping mods and high-quality, mouth-watering e-liquids. In fact, I usually tell people that if you like hookah, you will enjoy electronic cigarettes much, much more;
- Nothing tastes and smells worse than traditional cigarettes;
- As many people, as many opinions. And, once again, in 2015, you can fine-tune your vaping experience by testing out a whole lot of e-liquids, clearomizers, mods and power settings, and even get yourself a rebuildabe atomizer to customize your vaping game even more.
Myth No. 9 – Electronic cigarettes are bad for people around you
- Electronic cigarettes or personal vaporizers – hence the term – produce only that: VAPOR. It is nothing like second hand smoke: it has no nasty odor and no harmful/toxic particles in it. In most cases, bystanders will not even notice you vaping – that is, if they don’t see your device in your hand, of course. In fact, it has been found in several studies that only a tiny amount of the nicotine, which is the only addictive substance in e-cigarette vapor, is spread by exhaling it. This amount was much, much lower than the nicotine content found in second hand tobacco smoke. And remember: many vapers prefer to use e-liquid with NO nicotine content!
Myth No. 10 – Vaping is more expensive than smoking tobacco cigarettes
- It is simply not true. Even if I go through more than a hundred mililiters of e-liquid per month (which is definitely A LOT, and I rarely get to such numbers) and buy a few new clearomizers (and perhaps also a cool new mod) that month, I spend much less than I used to spend on those nasty and harmful cigarettes. And I live in a country where a pack of smokes costs no more than 4 EUR, which is not very much.
- Of course, a small investment is needed in the beginning – to get your desired vaping starter kit and some e-liquid. However, later you will be glad looking at how much money you can save per month. You can also try out our Vaping vs Smoking Cost Calculator.
Feel free to share your observations and experience with electronic cigarettes in the comment section below!
Latest posts by Martin B. (see all)
- 4 Reasons Why You Don’t Enjoy Vaping as Much as You Should - August 23, 2019
- 6 Health Benefits of CBD for Teenagers - August 22, 2019
- What you should know about vaping without nicotine - August 17, 2019